Background by Freepik

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Movie Review: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2

My rating:

After a heavy and hard day of work, managing complaints, problems and technical and complex queries, my boyfriend and I decided on a whim to finally watch the finale part of Mockingjay. This was something I did not want to pass on, since I've been anticipating towards this movie since the day I finished the final installment of the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins.

So with a heavy (and a little sleepy) head, I headed out in the rainy, merciless autumn stormy weather, determined to get my butt in that comfy cinema chair and display myself towards the big screen. Mockingjay. Was it everything I expected? Did it stay as close to the book as genuinely possible? Did I get my closure of the end of this beautiful series by Suzanne Collins? Well, do I have a lot to tell you.


I feel that this movie is one of the only movies (which I have seen thus far) that stayed as true to the book as realistically possible. From the story and suspense build-up, to the (even deeper) character development and to the very last bit of symbolism which I'm sure readers cherished most while reading Mockingjay, I believe the director couldn't have made it any more valuable for the book fans. I felt I was reliving the book, and it left me as emotional as the book had, several years ago (time flies!).

The action scenes, which included loads of masterful and enjoyable CGI (a.k.a. special effects), were extremely well carried out. I swear my heart was beating so frantically during the sewage scenes. I was looking forward to these scenes the most, and boy did they hit the the nail on the head! 

I was already completely in love with the cast, and they definitely did not disappoint me in Mockingjay Part 2. Of course Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss Everdeen) makes the movie, with her impeccable acting, but I have to commend Josh Hutcherson (Peeta Melark) on his great and memorable performance in this movie. He really grew in the roll, to end up being the perfect Peeta Melark.

There were two things which I found myself least content about (and then I mean the most smallest critical points). I believe the scenes and happenings were way more eventful in the book than in the movie.  While I was reading one terrifying and thrilling scene after the other, I felt the chaos was endless and completely really sucked me into the story. There was more chaos, traps and tragedy which our leading characters encountered in the book. Also, the build up relationship between Katniss and her squad, especially between Hobbs, felt was less powerful, but since I read all the books, I connected the dots and applied my own "background knowledge".

Someone who may not have read the books (yet), like my boyfriend (*ahem*ahem*) may have in result not found that compelling emotional connection with the leading characters, and I always find that to be such a pity. I think this goes for everyone who has read the books before the movies, and hence often feel the undeniable urge to throw the books to their faces and shout, "Read the goddamn books already!! They're soooooo much better than the movies!!"

*sigh*

I think everyone would agree that it is (nearly) impossible to provoke the same feelings from the book  as from the replicated movie, but keeping that in mind, Mockingjay part two has left me with full satisfaction and fulfillment, confirming my opinion on the The Hunger Games as still one of the best and original books I have ever had the privilege of reading. 

Have you watched Mockingjay Part 2 already? Share with me what you thought of this movie!!