Background by Freepik

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Book-2-Movie?!

So as we know there are so many books out there which have been converted to movies. Some really good and others... not so good (lets leave it to that). It's common that those who have first read the book and then watched the movie have a very strong and sometimes biased opinion on the movie's outcome... and yes I am definitely one of them!

Were it the characters that made you boil inside with disagreement? The order in which the movie went forward or how they unmistakably skipped the most important part of the book!!! 

Well if your are one of these strong opinionated and hard headed people like me, I think you will enjoy this post and I hope to see your agreements and disagreement to which movies you though we're a complete failure or massive success in comparison to the book.

My top three's are in no particular order.




My Top 3 Book-to-Movies I loved:


Divergent & Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Okay, cheating a little here, but I have to inculde both of the first two movies from the trilogy by Veronica Roth. I am very, very pleasantly suprised so far with the two movies and how they stayed true to the book. Alright, some scenes were sped up, or details were skipped, but I dont think it affected the movie in a negative way. I felt they did a very good job at casting the characters and the CGI was quite impressive, especially in the second movie, Insurgent. Unforutnately, in my eyes the movie will never overshadow the book, but I think the directors respected Veronica's vision and portrayed her book beautifully through the movies (thus far...).

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
This book is one of my most favorite one out of the entire Harry Potter collection, and I was very, very happy that the directors did not screw this one up (pardon my language). By this time, they had changed Dumbledore's actor (which I found quite an improvement) and I believe a new set of directors had been assigned. Perhaps for the better, since the ambiance of the movie was almost identical to book. Dark, mysterious, thrilling and oh so very tragic! The actors seemed to get a grip of their acting skills and I found the movie to be overall quite successful!

The Hunger Games by Susanne Collings
I'm still sitting in the middle with this one.

It's always hard to get the movie just right according to the book. I think the reason why it is sometimes so hard for a true book fan to love the adapted movie, is because they have read every detail of what the characters are thinking and sensing. I unfortunately think this was somewhat the movie's downfall. However, I must say that I was very pleased with the casting and the acting was abosultely equisite (thank you Jennifer Lawrence!). I felt that the moments which were dramatic and terrifyingly exciting in the book definitely came through perfectyly in the movie.

My Top 3 Book-to-Movies I disliked:

The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
What.a.terrible.movie!! I feel like the directors just laughed in Cassandra Clare's face and intentionally wanted to see this movie fail and burn to the ground. The acting, casting, order of events was just.. terrible. I don't think I have ever cringed of embarrassment for the actors as much as I did for any other movie... It just didn't seem like the actors were taking the story serious. The only thing that I could approve of in this movie, was the CGI (although the tattoo markings were extremely tacky looking). It's a shame since this was one of the "books-2-movies" which I was really looking forward to!
I heard from a little bird that they are discontinuing the movie sequels and turning them into a TV series; I will look forward to that but I will not get my hopes up too much!

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
So there I was, one of the biggest fans you can imagine, sitting in the movie theater with my best friend, super excited that I was finally going to see the first movie of my most favorite book series of all time. As excited as I was entering the theater, as dissapointed I was leaving the building.
Why you say? To name a few, the terrifyingly bad acting, the order in which the movie went, the speed at which the story was going and (most horrific of all) the amount of scenes and details they left out;
One thing I do have to admit, I found the soundtrack to be absolutely stunning. To this day I still get goosebumps when hearing the classic Harry Potter melody. Luckily, I warmed up to the sequels and their little tedious flaws, and to this day I really enjoy rewatching all of the HP movies.


Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
As with Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire, this was also one of my favorite book's out the series and one of the movie's I was looking forward to the most. Eventhough it definitely had its good moments  and perhaps my teenage hormones amplified all the characters' emotions in the book, I felt as if the emotions from the characters were... lacking... immensely. I didn't find myself as moved as I did while reading the book, and the casting of some of the most crucial characters, such as Professor Lupin, were just very dissapointing to me. Sorry.


No matter how distant or similar the movies are to the book, I always find it extremely enjoyable to watch something play out in a movie, which intially played out in your head as you were reading the book. I am definitely looking forward to the next Book-2-Movie's coming out soon!

Let me know what you think in the comments below!